Monday, January 12, 2009

Elaine's Dueling Piano Bar - The Grove Park Inn 01/08/09

OK, so a friend from work wanted to go here to celebrate my birthday. The website for the Grove Park Inn advertises Elaine's dueling pianos as, "a rip-roaring delightfully naughty good time." Now, I don't know what the ad execs who thought that one up were smoking, but I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest that the time I had was either rip-roaring or naughty.

We arrived a little before 9PM when the supposed fun would take place. I asked for a Mojito, which I'd been meaning to try since watching them make them at Salsa's back during the summer. The barmaid inquired if I'd like it with Bacardi or house rum, and knowing I was in a high dollar place and being treated by someone else, I decided to go easy on her wallet and chose the house rum. Now by "house rum", they apparently meant "gin". Either that or it was the worst rum money can buy. After that I just decided to have beer, because you can't screw up a bottle of beer.

Now back to the entertainment, I apparently wasn't drunk enough or in the right crowd, because everyone else in the place would laugh at something periodically or sing along whenever the piano players would do a little call and response during one of the world's most trite cover songs. I just wasn't feeling it, I guess. Maybe if you are in a large group or are very inebriated, you may find it amusing. I dunno. I didn't. But I also don't want to hear "Ring of Fire" played on a piano in a cabaret style.

At some point during the evening, we got sandwiches, which were served "box lunch" style with chips. I had an Italian Sub. The menu touted the packets of mustard and mayonnaise as some kind of bonus. I gotta say, the meats on the sub were actually very fresh and not at all processed meats tasting. I mean it was prosciutto and real Genoa salami.

*** three asterisks

Elaine's Dueling Piano Bar
The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa
290 Macon Ave - (828) 252-2711

No comments:

Post a Comment